Freedom From Bondage Means Having Krishna

As devotees, we talk a lot about getting free from the material energy, free from the influence of maya, free from our attachments to material sense pleasures and their objects.

Why do we want to do that? What would be the reason?

Sometimes it can be confusing. It may seem like we're taking all this too seriously, when really it's all Krishna's creation and life in this world can have so many pleasures to offer us.

Here is an example that perhaps will illustrate the reasons.

Suppose you are in a relationship with someone. You think you love them, and they love you. You have all kinds of hopes and dreams about all the things you will do together. They seem to be so wonderful, and they tell you all kinds of things that you will do together, and ways you will be happy and enjoy your love together.

You are very pleased by all this, it seems very amazing. You begin to imagine all these ways things will be, and you become very attached to all of it. You make plans, you invest energy, you change your life around being with them.

After some time, it starts to become obvious to you that there are some "flaws" in the situation. Well, maybe the person that says they love you starts lying to you. Then they start cheating, and being involved with others. You're very attached to them, and all of the things you'd hoped for, so you go on, trying to overlook it. Maybe they say they are sorry, and they make new promises. "I will never lie to you again" they say. "I will never hurt you or cheat you again" they say.

So, you continue on, investing your energy, your love, your time, your faith. You believe in the things they tell you. You believe in your future with them. You think to yourself "well maybe I am not so happy right now, but I soon will be".... or "someday I will be".

One day, you realize that your suffering has become very great, and you life seems dark, empty. You feel lonely inside. All the hope you once had seems drained. All the efforts you've been making seem to change nothing. Still the lies, still the cheating, still the empty promises.

Finally, something happens that changes everything. You meet someone who is different. This person, there is something radiant about them. You feel a strong attraction to everything about them. When you see them, you feel happy, light. The sun starts to shine again in your world. You suddenly notice there is a moon, and you spend hours gazing at it. Everything seems alive and full of wonder and beauty.

All of this happens when you even just think of this new person... so you start thinking of them more and more. The more you think of this new person, the less all the pain the other person is inflicting on you seems to matter.

Suddenly, you don't care so much when they lie to you. Somehow, when they cheat, it does not seem to hurt you so deeply. When they yell and scream and try to argue with you and make you upset, you find that all you have to do is think of your new love, this person you have discovered, and are not so affected by their rages and torrents of fury.

Pretty soon, you are spending time with your new love, you can't wait to see them, to be with them. Everything about them is just so exciting and wonderful to you. They are kind to you, loving, caring. They don't lie, they don't cheat, they don't fly into rages and mistreat you.

But... you still don't know.... it seems pretty drastic to think of just walking out of the relationship you've been in. There is some security there, you have all these plans you've made. There are all these "things" and "people" connected to you and your life with them. Well, you would have to give it all up to be with your new love.

The more you think about your new love, the more time you spend with your new love, the less these "things" seem to matter. They all start to seem gray, dull, lifeless. You don't resent the old person anymore. They don't even have the power to upset you. All the promises and hopes start to pale in comparison to the new beauty you have found from the relationship you are having with your new love.

Finally, nothing matters anymore at all. You don't care if you lose everything. You don't care if the rest of the world hates you. All the plans and dreams and promises have lost their meaning entirely. The person you had been with showers you with expensive gifts, and they have no allure. They offer you everything you had ever wanted, and you find that you no longer want a single bit of it. Not one thing they offer means a single thing to you any longer. All you want in the whole world is just to be with your new love. You have become free from the bondage of the old relationship.

That new love is Krishna. : )

(you knew I was going to say that didn't you ;)

We are all longing for Krishna. All the things in this world will only give us temporary pleasure and happiness. All the while, we will be lied to, cheated, and punished. That's really what's happening. The material world is a lie. It's a false dream of happiness. It keeps us from our real love with promises of things it will never deliver, and lies about the nature of our relationship with it.

When we start seeing Krishna, thinking of Krishna, spending time with Krishna, the material world starts to lose it's power over us. All the things it has to offer begin to pale and have less meaning. The become much less valuable.

We have found our one and only true love.

We start to feel the real happiness and beauty and love that Krishna has to offer. Krishna doesn't lie or cheat or mistreat us. We only feel happiness when we are with Him. This is our eternal relationship. This is what we are all seeking after, we have just forgotten where to find it.

Now we know. We know Krishna. Even just thinking of Krishna makes us feel happy, what to speak of being with Him. That is real freedom from the bondage of the material world, and real (and lasting) happiness is the result.

Hare Krishna : )

* Navasi's blog
* Login or register to post comments

Comments
Thu, 08/14/2008 - 21:37 — krsna_shweta77
krsna_shweta77's picture
Simple but powerful

Mataji, that was simply lovely! Well written. Simple but a very powerful message. This is surely going to be one of my favourites from all your articles.

Hare Krsna!
Shweta

* Login or register to post comments

Tue, 08/12/2008 - 05:02 — Karnamrita.das
Karnamrita.das's picture
Inspired story

Go Navasi!! You have caught the flame here. I can feel the current. We have both spoken about it. Good writing is inspired, and those who are receptive can are inspired by the power. We all have to find ways to be inspired by Krishna, and hear from devotees who are inspiring. Then despite our inevitable difficulties we will keep on chanting and serving, knowing that our problems will pass or as you said, will seem insignificant as the Krishna sun rises in our heart!

And then there is teaching through stories, and stories that resonate with the audience. (I think I will post some of my old BTG articles which are in the form of stories and events) Who has not experienced disappointment in love, and the material miseries? Materialists either become depressed, bitter, or they keep on looking for that dangling carrot birth after birth. For those with sukriti (past service) when they are distressed, they search for transcendence and are lead to Krishna.

* Login or register to post comments

Tue, 08/12/2008 - 10:17 — Navasi
Navasi's picture
Currents of Inspiration

Well, I'm so glad to hear you say that Karnamrita. : )

I know I'm certainly trying. It is what you said to me, the things we were discussing about writing and inspiring people that caused me to venture into the arena of "story telling".

You've been helping me with the things I write through your comments to me since I first came to connect. Also through your own writing, as I watch the things you say carefully.

Not that I'm trying to "become you" of course ...(lol) I know we're all individuals, and I like that. Still, I do get so much inspiration and help from discussing things with you, and reading the things that you write. You've been writing for devotees a whole lot longer than I have, and I learn so much from you.
(I'm just a neophyte writer ;)

I hope in time I will become more able to transcend my own false ego enough to write more about myself, the way you do, but I'm still pretty attached to that "other side of the false ego coin" as you were describing a long time ago in one of your blogs here.

The "false humility" issue. I get really self conscious talking about "me" still, regardless if it's something that I think others will admire or deride, or benefit from.

Thank you for all your assistance. Like I said in my comment to your blog about pain teachers, I appreciate your association so much, and am grateful always that you are here on connect.

* Login or register to post comments

Thu, 08/14/2008 - 09:35 — Karnamrita.das
Karnamrita.das's picture
Practice makes perfect

I have been "journaling" for over 25 years which is most of my original practice. I have written a few articles for various publications including for BTG. However, it wasn't till I came to blog here and on MySpace, that I have gotten in so much writing practices for an audience. Although I also consider my self a novice in writing, I can say that my writing has improved a lot in the months I have been blogging. It has been quite useful to just write a certain length that I think is readable for not losing my audience.

I began with about 750 words, and now some are about 1500 to 2000 words, which is about the length of a BTG article. When I feel tired of writing is usually when the blog should be finished. That could be an hour or sometimes 2, though so far not more than 2 and 1/2. Then there is more editing and trying to catch all those typos and sentences that are not quite right, even after it is published.

Keep on writing! Here is a quote from Shirla Prabhupada:

"Realization means you should write, every one of you, what is your realization. What for this Back to Godhead is? You write your realization, what you have realized about Krishna. That is required. It is not passive. Always you should be active. Whenever you find time, you write. Never mind, two lines, four lines, but you write your realization. Sravanam kirtanam, writing or offering prayers, glories. This is one of the function of the Vaishnava. You are hearing, but you
have to write also. Then write means smaranam, remembering what you have heard from your spiritual master, from the scripture."

(Srila Prabhupada, Los Angeles, August 14th, 1972)

* Login or register to post comments

Thu, 08/14/2008 - 11:48 — abrennan
abrennan's picture
writers tips

Very interesting to read a little about your writing process. I spend a lot of time writing, for work and pleasure.

Practice definitley makes perfect when it comes to writing.

That is such a great quote form Srila Prabhupada. Journaling can be a very useful devotional practice. I was advicsed to start doing it over 20 years ago when I first seriously began to meditate. It is amazing the amount of realisations that we have that are lost to us. It's quite a tool to have to look back on an be re-enthused and re-inspired by when I read through the journey of my spiritual practive.

BTG is such a gold mine of information. I am often browsing in Vedabase. There is also a DVD with all the old BTG's on it and you can look at the original pages which have been scanned. It is such an incredible archive. Thanks for helping create it.

________________________________________
Visit the Food Channel @ Krishna.com

* Login or register to post comments

Tue, 08/12/2008 - 03:09 — Ѕantosh
Ѕantosh's picture
Krishna, the reservoir of all pleasure

Mataji, what you speak of is very true. Having personally experienced such similar trials in the past, it is as if you have taken a chapter of my life and put in on this blog.

When trials and problems are put in front of Krishna, they are rendered trivial and insignificant in His presence. Having the understanding that it is OUR own karma that has brought us suffering, is the first step toward freeing ourselves from this mayic entanglement.

Krishna works as the perfect facilitator in our hearts and it is only through His mercy that we are able to overcome the self-inflicted mental and physical issues we harbour within us. When we desire Krsna, He gives us guru and then guru gives us Krsna.

Jay Govinda!

* Login or register to post comments

Tue, 08/12/2008 - 03:48 — Navasi
Navasi's picture
Everyone's Life Story

Hare Krishna, Santosh,

This is the story of Krishna, and Maya, and us.

So, actually, this is the life story of every single person who is in the material world, and then has found Krishna.

There is only serving Maya (and trying to find happiness there) and serving Krishna, and actually finding it.

Why are the trials and problems rendered trivial in Krishna's presence, as you say? That's because Krishna is much GREATER than Maya or any material thing or energy or force or problem or false ego or issue.

lol

We just have to "know that" and desire Him more than we desire the false things.

Krishna is the Ultimate Power. The Unlimited Force. The Supreme Controller. The Destroyer of Worlds.

The Dearest Friend To The Devotee.

Thank you for your nice comment.

Hare Krishna,

* Login or register to post comments

Mon, 08/11/2008 - 22:59 — Snehal
Snehal's picture

Thank you for this blog.

Ever in such situation, one must thank the first love for not loving and lying and cheating us...For if first love would have been fullfilling, we would have never got attracted to Krishna and never got an oppurtunity to reagain the lost relationship with Him.

Snehal.

* Login or register to post comments

Tue, 08/12/2008 - 03:55 — Navasi
Navasi's picture
A Gift

Haribol Snehal,

Yes, it's true what you say. It's actually a gift (if this were a real life story I mean) that something like this would happen and then that person would have the chance to love Krishna. I can see why you would want to thank them.

I would want to also thank Krishna for being so attractive : )

Since Krishna is so attractive, as soon as He "comes along" it's very hard to find as much "interest" in struggling so hard to keep the relationship with the material world "going".

Just like it's said in scripture:

~If you want to enjoy the company of society, friendship, and family, don't go see Govinda on the banks of the Yamuna.~

He'll steal your heart and you won't care so much about all of that anymore. He's very attractive that way. : )

lol