Gaura-purnima: Appearance of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu
(fast till moonrise)
According to Vedic bhakti literature, such as Srimad-Bhagavatam and Chaitanya-charitamrita, Chaitanya Mahaprabhu is Krishna Himself, in the form of His own devotee. He appears in this world to spread love for Krishna through the congregational chanting of the holy names of the Lord. He appeared in Sridhama Mayapur, West Bengal, in 1486. His activities and teachings are described in detail in the book "Teachings of Lord Chaitanya" and the multi-volume "Sri Chaitanya-charitamrita."
- About Chaitanya Mahaprabhu
- Gaura Purnima, Lord Chaitanya's appearance day
- Video: The first Gaura Purnima festival ever, with Chaturatma dasa
- Food: Gaura Purnima festival menu - Cooking for Gaura Purnima? Here are some recipes to try.
- Video: Aindra and his 24 hour Kirtan band perform at the 2008 Mayapur Gaura Purnima festival
- Chaitanya Mahaprabhu in the Srimad-Bhagavatam, Canto 11, 5.32
(Painting shows Lord Chaitanya (baby Nimai) and His mother Saci)